Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

accident

On May 15th about 2 hrs. from Richmond, Lars and my mother and their caregiver, Joy Burch, were driving towards Raleigh when Lars drifted off to the left on a 4 lane highway, then as Joy got his attention, he swung the wheel sharply to the right, then again to the left, spun the car around, which shot it across to the right and it tumbled down an embankment, turning over once.  Miraculously, my mother and Joy had minor bruises and a scratch.  Lars, however, fractured the C-2 bone in his neck and has had surgery, and now must wear a neck brace for 3 months.  He is recuperating at the home of good friends of his  in Black Mountain, NC.  I am taking care of my mother in my home and I need a physical therapist and/or home health care to come in and show me how to get her moving.  When I last visited in MA. she would walk very slowly and with help from the living room to the chair by the window, and to the bathroom, but only 2 times a day, or 3 when going to her bedroom.  She now wants to stay in her wheelchair and I usually need my husband or daughter to help me move her just two steps to the bed or the chair.  We would appreciate prayers for Lars and her, as we need wisdom in the decision of future long term care.

The Lord obviously had his angels in charge, and even had the I-phone Lars owns with all his contacts, protected during 2 rainstorms until it was recovered at the scene of the accident.  The car was totaled and it belonged to Joy who was on her way back with them to Texas, where she lives.  Lars' and her insurance covered the car. Joy is back to work at a camp with her parents.  She had lived with them about 8 months.  The plan for a new CNA  to arrive on June 18th.  We don't know when Lars will travel home yet.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that's awful. Thank the Lord they didn't get too severely hurt.

    I'll be praying for both of them. I'll pray for you too as you help your mother with physical therapy. I helped my grandma with physical therapy and it was hard feeling so helpless when you want to do so much more to help them.

    I pray the Lord will quicken their recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for you, your mother, and for Lars. God is so gracious in allowing them all to be alright!

    My husband and I were in a horrible accident a few years ago when I was pregnant with our first son. My husband shattered his L1 vertebrae and could not feel anything below his waist. God was so gracious in allowing my husband to gradually learn to walk again, to sustain our little son not yet born, and to give me strength to take care of everyone. It was difficult to know how to do everything for my husband and especially how to move him. I really struggled feeling so helpless. I will be praying that you will be able to get some help quickly. I will also pray asking the Lord to keep you mind in perfect peace and sustain you through this trial. The Lord was so full of blessings toward me all through the dark days of trying to help my husband heal. Psalm 91 was a perfect balm for my soul.

    In Christ,

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie,
    We, who are aware will pray. It is a difficult stage to know how to care for those who lovingly brought us up and did what they felt best for us. There is no manual for the next step we must take in making decisions for their future care. I'll be praying alongside you on that one as well. It's where I am.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell how you came to this blogsite.