Popular Posts

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Elisabeth Elliot, "Granny" to her grandchildren

This is an excerpt from a letter to one of the Shepard girls: 

"Thank you for the lovely photo which came today. You 'have the makings of a very beautiful woman,' as my mother once said to me when I was about your age.  I'm not sure I ever turned into that, but you probably will. May the Lord keep you ever for Himself, pure, surrendered, obedient, and full of joy and compassion.  Those latter traits are and have been for some time evident in you, dear girl.

Time to take a walk-- all by my lonesome, sine Gramps had to go to Marblehead to see the tax lady.

'Christ has utterly wiped out the damning evidence of broken laws and commandments which always hung over our heads, and has completely annulled it by nailing it over his own head on the dross. And then, having drawn the sting of all the powers ranged against us, he exposed them, shattered, empty and defeated, in his final glorious triumphant act'  (Col 2:14-15).  Today is Good Friday --- what a depth of suffering and sorrow for our Lord, what glory and joy for us helpless sinners!"

                                                                                    With my heart's love,
                                                                                    Granny (signed in pen) [April, 1998]

How thankful I am that my mother wrote each of the 8 children regularly, and lovingly.  She always said how much she loved them, and how she prayed for them, and gave interesting tidbits of her days, as well as a little quote or verse, reminding them of the One they were made for. 




 

 


2 comments:

  1. I am so grateful for your example. I learned that you and I are alike in many ways after watching you speak in your 1992 talk. I am a mother of 13, 3 grown and am a homebody. If you are ever speaking in the midwest or are in the Indianapolis area, I would love to hear you or visit with you.Blessings,

    Susan White

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Valerie,
    I remember hearing audio speeches, where your Mom mentioned writing or making books (with photos) for her grandchildren. I can only imagine what a loving "Granny" she was. I was very close to my "Nanny". These days (as I am 62 now) children don't seem as close to their grandparents. That is sad. I found the books and teachings of your Mom, later in life; but what a comfort she has been. I love listening to her voice. She sounded like you, in her early audios.
    God Bless,
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete

Please tell how you came to this blogsite.