Popular Posts

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ps. 86:11

"Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in Your truth; unite my heart to fear your name."

I am often quite discouraged by my easily distracted mind. I want to be single-minded, and whole-heartedly focused on Him, my Shepherd, and Leader. But I will get distracted by kitchen duties, nails (!), laundry, lists of things to do, and the cat. Here's a poem by Amy Carmichael that helps me.

"Wandering Thoughts"
Gather my thoughts, good Lord, they fitful roam,
Like children bent on foolish wandering,
Or vanity of fruitless wayfaring;
O call them home.

See them, they drift like the wind-scattered foam;
Like wild sea-birds, they hither, thither, fly,
And some sink low, and others soar too high.
O call them home.

My silence speaketh to Thee, but I roam
With my poor silly thoughts, I know not where;
That undistracted I may go to prayer
O call them home.

I am thankful that God understands my easily distractible mind. He knows my thoughts from afar, and He loves me in spite of it. I will rest in that, and ask Him continuously to bring my thoughts to Him and His perfect ways, for my imperfections are too obvious, and He says in His word that He will help us! May my thoughts and meditations be ON HIM, and not on my "fruitless wayfairing."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell how you came to this blogsite.