Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Another excerpt of a letter from Jim Elliot to Betty Howard

Elliotlovedhim.blogspot.com - relationship w. his Dad

"Glad your faith gave you the freedom to write here.  Sorry I didn't get a card off earlier than that Monday night note, but I plead your sympathies assailed by finals.  A little bitterness rose at C.P.R. when I heard you could not be routed through the Northwest, showing me that I too had been building unfounded castles.  Still hope you might come, but pray for HIS WILL, that happy determiner of His childrens' paths. Mom is eager to meet you as are the rest, save Father; he hasn't mentioned your name nor referred to the affair, though conversation has been quite open.  And I know why, too.  he prays over it, more than they all and has committed it all to God long ago.  Betty, I blush to think of things I have said, as if I knew something of what Scripture teaches. I know nothing. My father's religion is of a sort I have seen  nowhere else.  His theology is wholly undeveloped, but so real and practical a thing that it shatters every "system" of doctrine I have seen.  He cannot define theism, but he knows God.  He is seriously considering a trip to British Guiana where some local brethren from here are establishing a lumbering business....[There is] a British missionary who needs a furlough but has no teacher to take his place.  Dad may fit in, as he is both mill-right and teacher.  If he goes this summer he wants me to go with him, and if God so allows it I would drop Wycliffe plans in a minute.  We've had some happy times together and I cannot estimate what enrichment a few month's working with him might do for me, practically and spiritually....
..Never have seen the northern lights as you describe them.  We saw a real display in northern Mich this summer, but no colors in variety.  But my mountains!  They are here still with snow in all the foothills. I haven't been home in the winter for 4 years and this is a real treat...I don't see how you can afford to miss it."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Valerie,
    I know it must seem silly to you, but I can hardly believe I am talking to Jim and Elisabeth's daughter. Your parents have shaped so much of who I am in the Lord today. Many times I wonder if what Amy Carmichael was to your mom, your mom is to me. I wasn't "acquainted" with her until I was about 17 years old. When I was 13, I was acquainted with George Muller, and, outside my own parents, he was and still is one of the most influential people in my life. Still, there was a disconnect with what I had in common with him, so I picked up "Through Gates of Splendor" when I was 17; not only did that story make a deep impression on my heart, Elisabeth Elliot was the first woman that had so profoundly convicted me to follow hard after Christ, no matter what the cost. Since then, the Lord has used her in my life to edify, exhort, encourage, and build me up to serve Him to my utmost...and how much more I love Him and love dwelling in His presence because of that. Many times when I'm faced with a difficult situation I find myself asking, "what would Elisabeth do?"...and many times the Lord has given me clarity through it! Thank you for posting these letters - I have your dad's journal book, except I read it as a devotional - he's always pushing me closer towards our wonderful and precious Savior, and for that I am so grateful. This is a wonderful blog you have and I am equally grateful for it - such an encouragement! May the Lord bless you :)
    P.S. - I am sorry for the family loss of Bert passing away. I never knew him, I only read about it through CMML. I know there was rejoicing for him!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell how you came to this blogsite.